For Calvary Baptist Church in Norwich, NY
About Calvary Baptist Church of Norwich, New York:
We are located in the small city of Norwich in a beautiful area of central New York State. We currently
have approximately 120-150 people in attendance for our Sunday morning worship service. Our worship service contains a conservative biblically based sermon, with the worship music consisting of mostly modern songs and some occasional hymns. We are growing steadily after a decline in attendance due to the COVID pandemic with new people attending and joining the church. We also have a small Pre-K to 12th grade Christian school with about 35 students currently enrolled.
The Associate Pastor will work closely with the Lead Pastor towards the mission, vision, and goals of Calvary Baptist Church. He will also be devoted to the spiritual and numerical growth of our church as a top priority. The Associate Pastor will primarily provide oversight to, or directly lead, the discipling and family ministries of our church. He will be the direct leader of the teen ministry. He will work closely with the Lead Pastor towards the leadership, oversight, necessary recruitment, and development of the Small Groups program. He will also provide oversight to the different children’s’ ministries of the church. He will assist in identifying and recruiting leaders or volunteers, while providing training as necessary, for these different family ministries. The Associate Pastor will provide care, discipleship or counseling for parents or families as needed or assigned by the Lead Pastor. He will also plan and/or lead certain fellowship, outreach, or discipleship events in coordination with the Lead Pastor or other ministry leaders. The Associate Pastor will have occasional opportunities to preach or lead special services. He will also assist the Lead Pastor with any other duties or responsibilities as they would be assigned or in accordance with any other spiritual gifts and/or abilities that the Associate Pastor might have.
• Has a solid and growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
• Meets the description of an overseer/elder in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-16
• Agrees with Calvary Baptist Church’s Statement of Faith (see cbcnorwich.com/teachings).
• Preferred if at least TWO years of ministry experience working with teens, children, and families in church ministries. Any higher educational learning or academic degrees in bible or related to church ministries would be a plus.
• Would need to be background checked by our search team as part of the hiring process.
Abilities and Characteristics:
• Teachable, loyal, friendly, team-player, and energetic.
• Is effective at understanding and relating with teens and children and able to effectively teach them God’s Word in an engaging and learnable way.
• Is proficient in recruiting individuals for ministry through face-to-face invitations.
• Has knowledge of and is committed to being an ongoing student of the current issues and challenges that families and young people are facing and how to teach or counsel those people according to God’s Word.
• Can be a visionary for the discipleship and family ministries and how they can improve.
• Is an effective preacher of God’s Word.
• Punctual, prompt, and organized.
• Sociable, outgoing, and great communication skills.
• Able to teach and facilitate group discussion.
• Directly accountable to the Lead Pastor in all responsibilities.
• Will meet regularly with the Lead Pastor for the purposes of communication and planning.
• Will lead the teen/pre-teen weekly ministry, while delegating of some of the responsibilities to other youth volunteer leaders.
• Will assist the Lead Pastor in recruiting Small Group facilitators each semester (approximately every six months). The Associate Pastor would also be expected to facilitate one Small Group most semesters.
• Will recruit and provide training for leaders or volunteers to help with the teen and pre-teen ministry as needed.
• Will work with the others in the church to recruit and provide training for leaders or volunteers for our other children’s programs including: AWANA, Sunday School, and Jr. Church.
• Will seek to connect and maintain relationships with parents and their children who are involved in the kids’ ministries.
• Will work with leaders of all family ministries in providing vision, creative ideas, and planning so that the discipleship and family ministries of the church can continue to grow and improve.
• Will oversee the planning and spending of the budgets for any children, teen, or family ministries that the Associate Pastor oversees.
• Will provide biblically based counseling in safe environments for young people, parents, and families as needed or directed by the Lead Pastor.
• Will assist the Lead Pastor or other church leaders in planning, facilitating, and recruiting volunteers for certain outreach, fellowship, or discipleship events.
• Will occasionally preach (3-12 times per year depending on experience and giftedness) and lead in other special services as the Lead Pastor would direct.
• Will accomplish all other tasks as assigned by the Lead Pastor.
Total compensation for this position would include the following CHOICE for a salary package:
OPTION A: A $45,000 salary ($41,557.50 base salary plus $3,442.50 Social Security offset benefit)
OPTION B: A 3 bedroom and 1.5 bath parsonage and a $35,000 salary (32,322.50 base salary plus $2,677.50 Social Security offset benefit).
Please submit your resume and a list of at least five references to searchteam@CBCNorwich.com. It is preferred if at least one of your references is someone that you worked with in a previous ministry position and if another reference is a Pastor of a church that you attended (or are attending).
If you have any further questions, please contact us at searchteam@CBCNorwich.com.